Posted on October 6, 2017
Activism works: CREDO members helped to defeat Trumpcare again
Progressive grassroots activists, including hundreds of thousands of dedicated CREDO members, saved health care coverage for tens of millions of Americans – yet again.
Despite right-wing extremist Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s best efforts, some Senate Republicans realized that the latest version of Trumpcare – the so-called Graham-Cassidy legislation to strip health care and critical protections from millions – was too cruel to support.
This victory would not have been possible without the massive resistance of CREDO activists and our friends in the progressive movement across the country who signed petitions, made phone calls, attended rallies, planned events and took part in acts of civil disobedience to ensure Trumpcare remains stalled in Congress.
In just the last few months, the opposition to Trumpcare by CREDO and its members has been incredible:
- CREDO members made more than 80,000 phone calls and generated more than 800,000 petition signatures.
- Dozens of CREDO members in key states created short video testimonials urging their Republican senators to oppose Trumpcare.
- CREDO’s series of anti-Trumpcare videos featuring progressive champions have been viewed more than 20 million times and shared on Facebook more than 400,000 times.
- CREDO placed billboards in strategic locations in key states to pressure senators to oppose Trumpcare.
- CREDO covered the Washington and state offices of key senators with Snapchat geofilters calling on the senators to block Trumpcare.
Unfortunately, we know that right-wing Republican extremists will never give up on their cynical efforts to steal our health care. We will stay vigilant to ensure that any future effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act is met again with unwavering grassroots resistance.