Posted on September 12, 2017
How you can help those affected by Hurricane Irma
For the second time in just a few weeks, a massive and highly destructive hurricane — Hurricane Irma — hit the United States, causing untold damage, displacing millions, and killing dozens of people. Everyone here at CREDO has the victims of these disasters in their hearts and thoughts.
As always, CREDO Mobile and Long Distance have sought to protect its customers and have enacted a forgiveness policy during these recent disasters. For accounts in areas affected by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Harvey, CREDO will not disconnect customers and will waive excess data and overage fees upon request.
Many people in Florida, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and surrounding areas are in desperate need of help. If you and your friends and family are looking for ways to help victims of Irma, here are some ways you can chip in:
- Volunteer Florida is the lead agency in Florida for volunteers and donations before, during, and after disasters. Volunteer Florida is mobilizing and deploying assistance for those responding to and recovering from Irma. You can sign up to volunteer or donate here.
- The New Florida Majority, a progressive organization in Florida working to increase the voting and political power of Florida’s low-income black and Latino communities, has helped to establish the Hurricane Irma Community Recovery Fund with their progressive allies in region. You can make a donation to this fund here.
- The Miami Workers Center is a leading progressive social change nonprofit organization that fights for social, racial, economic and gender justice in Miami who will be helping with the relief efforts for low-income communities, communities of color and LGBTQ communities during the aftermath of Irma. You can make a donation to help their important work here.
- Guakia Colectivo Agroecologico is a frontline environmental justice organization based in Puerto Rico. Donations to Guakia will go to supporting critical local relief efforts. You can make a donation by calling 787-414-9794 or emailing [email protected]
- Make the Homeless Smile is on the ground in the Miami area providing food, supplies, and clothing for those impacted by Irma. You can contribute to their Make the Homeless Smile Irma Relief Fund here.